Join Americans across the country on May 19, 2017 for National Bike to Work Day. Not only does cycling to work reduce the stress on the environment, it also helps to reduce weight and your personal stress. According to the League of American Bicyclists, most commutes and trips to the store or financial institution are less than 2 miles from home. This distance is a perfect round trip ride to burn calories, improve your mood and save you money. Cycling does not require gas. The only fuel needed is the fat that your body burns to turn the pedals.
Bicycling is an aerobic activity, which means it mostly burns fat and it can be consistently sustained for at least 10 minutes. Hopefully, once you discover the enjoyment of biking to work, you will start going for longer bike rides to burn more calories and enhance weight loss. When cycling to work for weight loss, keep these fitness tips in mind:
- Cycle at a speed that increases your heart and breathing rates. You are cycling with intention, so pedal with a moderate to high speed.
- Choose a comfortable resistance level. You do not want the resistance too high that it slows down your speed. Adjust the tension according to the terrain. For instance, if you are cycling uphill, decrease your resistance level and aim to maintain your speed.
- Avoid prolonged periods of coasting in which you do not move your legs and rely on momentum to propel you forward. Aim to keep your legs moving constantly to increase the calorie-burning benefits.
- Start at a slower speed and over two or three minutes, increase to your desired cycling speed. As you near your place of work, gradually slow down to cool your muscles before you dismount the bike. Stretch your legs when you finish your ride.
- During lunch, aim to cycle for 20 to 30 minutes if your goal is weight loss. The more movement you can fit into your schedule, the more calories you will burn.
- Remember to stay hydrated.
New Image Body Sculpting supports your cycle to work efforts. We also understand that exercise resistant fat can be a concern and we have solutions. If you have any questions about the best way to lose weight or how our body sculpting services can help you, please contact us at 818-522-7193 today.